Civil Peace Service

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Civil Peace Service? Who is behind the CPS? How can I work with them? You can find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the Civil Peace Service here. If you need further information, please contact We would be happy to provide further assistance.

What is the CPS?

The Civil Peace Service (CPS) is a programme aimed at preventing violence and promoting peace in crisis zones and conflict regions. It aims to build a world in which conflicts are resolved without resorting to violence. Nine German peace and development organisations run the CPS together with local partners. The CPS is funded by the German Government. CPS experts support people on the ground in their commitment for dialogue, human rights and peace on a long-term basis. Currently, about 380 international CPS experts are active in about 45 countries.

Where is the CPS active?

CPS experts work in crisis and conflict regions worldwide. You can find out which countries the CPS is currently active in from our "Project Database". The CPS is usually involved at the request of local organisations in crisis and conflict regions. Such engagements are often based on long-term relationships with partner organisations.

Further information: "Facts and Figures".

How does the CPS work?

What peace means and how it can be achieved must remain the concern of the people living in crisis and conflict areas. The CPS supports local people and organisations who are trying to overcome violence or the consequences of war and human rights violations. The CPS concept includes the methods of civil conflict management. Prerequisites for project planning and implementation are context and needs analyses that are carried out together with partner organisations. The work starts at a grassroots and intermediate level ("peace from the bottom up") - with the aim of empowering and networking stakeholders in civil society ("strengthening civil society").

CPS experts do not claim to solve conflicts but support and advise local partner organisations in developing their own non-violent solutions.

Additional information on the topics of conflict management, conflict analysis and peace in a development context:

Who is behind the CPS?

The Civil Peace Service is run by nine German peace and development organisations that have joined together in the Civil Peace Service Consortium. These organisations take responsibility for programme and project management and personnel support. They select the experts and prepare them for their assignment.

The tasks of the CPS Consortium are to develop the content of the CPS, to exchange experiences, to improve the administrative framework, to coordinate common issues with the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and to represent CPS issues in public. See: CPS Consortium

Who funds the CPS?

The CPS is funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The legal basis for sending CPS experts on assignments is the German Development Workers Act (EhfG). It provides for at least two years of employment, social security, maintenance benefits and support in returning to work back home.

Where can I find out more about the CPS?

On this website:

About us 

Publication database - extensive collection of articles, books and videos.

The CPS newsletter ("ZFD aktuell")


Who can become a CPS expert?

Men and women with life and work experience, knowledge of civil conflict management and qualifications in a field relevant to the CPS. Positions vacant in CPS projects are advertised regularly. You can find vacancies here: "Working in the CPS".

Applications should be made directly to the implementing CPS organisation. There, prospective experts go through an individual preparation programme that trains them for their assignment abroad.

Also see: "Qualification" in civil conflict management.

How can I apply for an internship or volunteer service in the CPS?

The CPS is an expert service. However, individual consortium members also offer internships or volunteer positions. Please address inquiries directly to those Consortium members that make such offers. See: "CPS Consortium"